Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Second Proposal: Slightly Larger General Assembly

My second, brief, proposal is to slightly increase the size of the Illinois General Assembly. Today's GA has 118 House members and 59 Senators for a total body of 177 members. With Illinois' 12+ million citizens this means that we average over 70,000 citizens per General Assembly member. This ratio makes Illinois one of the highest 6 or 7 states for citizens per state representative. That's not a good ratio to have. The median (25th) state has a much lower ratio of under 30,000 citizens per representative. Illinois would have to have over 400 members to get that low. Vermont has the lowest ratio in the Union at 3,300 citizens per representative. So it is my contention that Illinois citizens are getting a bad deal out of our small General Assembly, relative to other states, therefore, I want to increase it.

However, Illinois has a history of resisting larger bodies (see: Cut-Back) so I know there could be quite a push-back against this. Concerns over cost and "too large" a body are legitimate. Therefore, my increase would be modest. I would like to bring out current ratio of 70,000 citizens per representative down to about 50,000. Note, that this would still be much higher than the median state, in fact, Illinois would still be in the top 10 or dozen states with high ratios.

My proposal is to increase the General Assembly to 249 members, up from 177. As stated in my first proposal, this would be a unicameral General Assembly and these members will be elected in a "mixed" system using proportional representation, which is the subject of my next posts.

For more information on other state's legislature sizes, see this link.

1 comment:

Extreme Wisdom said...

Dude,

Or Dudette?

You are on the right track, but you have to know what it will take to win this Const. Conv. battle.

Rather than approach it as an intellectual exercise (Yes, I know that it is one, to a great extent), you need to approach it as a pitched political battle against the powerful political interests that are hell bent against giving this state back to the citizens.

I'd also suggest campaigning openly, not only as a promoter of a "yes vote," but also as a future delegate.

If you are serious, you need to start networking with others who are interested in winning this battle.

I'm a radio host and center right (pretty far right on some issues) blogger who has been talking about a Const. Conv. since about 2004.

It is the last hope to take this state back from the crooks who have been eating it hollow.

BTW, expanding the legislature???

Excellent idea! We all need more representation.

Unicameral? You could talk me into that. If we can't limit the Senate to 2 senators / county (mimic the US Const.) what earthly good is the senate? (other than more Cook County/ city hacks that feed off the taxpayer.

Contact me. I'll keep all confidences, and let you in my secret plan to actually win this important battle.